Dr. Riccardo Sapienza
- Resonance driven Random Lasing >>
- Resonant light diffusion in photonic glasses >>
- Single-molecule spectroscopy in photonic structures >>
- Non-linear light transport and generation in nano-structured media >>
- Coherent backscattering and scattering from photonic crystals >>
- 2009-2011 RyC Research Fellow at ICFO-The Institute of Photonic Sciences Barcellona, Spain
- 2006-2009 Post-doc at Instituto de Ciencia de Materiales de Madrid (CSIC) Spain, in the group of Prof. Cefe López.
- 2005-2006, INFM-Matis post-doc at the European Laboratory for Nonlinear Spectroscopy (LENS), Florence (Italy), in the group of Dr. D.S. Wiersma.
- 2002-2004, The European Laboratory for Nonlinear Spectroscopy (LENS), Florence (Italy), supervised by Dr. D.S. Wiersma. Laboratoire Kastler-Brossel (LKB), École Normale Supérieure, Paris (France), supervised by Dr. D. Delande.
- European Joint PhD : PhD thesis title: “Photonic nano materials: anisotropic transport and optical Bloch oscillations”
- 2001, University of Padova (Italy) Prof. Tondello’s Quantum Electronic Group.
- Master degree in Physics (Laurea)
- 2000, The Rijksuniversiteit te Leiden (Netherlands). Prof. Woerdman’s Quantum Optics Group
- Bachelor’s Thesis, "Mode Coupling and Perturbations on a Degenerate Resonator".
- 1999, Imperial College of London (England)
- Erasmus/Socrates exchange program (one year).
- Imperial College International Diploma
- Resonance driven random lasing, S. Gottardo, Riccardo Sapienza, P.D. Garcia, A. Blanco, D. S. Wiersma, C. Lopez, Nature Photonics , doi:10.1038/nphoton.2008.102 (2008), cover letter, highlights, and interview.
- Observation of Resonant Behavior in the Energy Velocity of Diffused Light, R. Sapienza, P.D. García, J. Bertolotti, M.D. Martín, A. Blanco, L. Viña, C. López, D.S. Wiersma, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 233902 (2007)
- Photonic glass: a novel random material for light, P.D. García, Riccardo Sapienza, Á. Blanco and C. López Adv. Mater. 19,2597-2602 (2007)
- Elastic Photonic Crystals: From Color Fingerprinting to Control Over Photoluminescence, A. C. Arsenault, T. J. Clark, G. von Freymann, L. Cademartiri, Riccardo Sapienza, J. Bertolotti, E. Vekris, S. Wong, V. Kitaev, I. Manners, R. Z. Wang, S. John, D.S. Wiersma, G. A. Ozin, Nature Materials 5, 179 (2006)
- Anisotropic Weak Localization of Light, Riccardo Sapienza, S. Mujumdar, C. Cheung, A.G. Yodh, D.S. Wiersma, Phys. Rev. Lett., 92, 033903 (2004)
- The Optical Analogue of Electronic Bloch Oscillations, Riccardo Sapienza, P. Costantino, D.S. Wiersma, M. Ghulinyan, C. Oton, L. Pavesi,Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 263902 (2003)
- My phd thesis (2005) entitled "Photonic nano materials: anisotropic transport and optical Bloch oscillations" can be downloaded here or here
- audiostorie, un relax per le tue orecchie
Exlibris: Fools On A Cart And A Boatload Of Fools The fools are setting out for their destination, "the land of fools". They call out "har noch!" i.e. "follow us!" and "All aboard, Brothers: it's leaving, it's leaving".
The engraving comes from the book Navicula sive speculum fatuorum  which describes with irony and grotesque images a group of fools of the fifteenth century which free themselves from any social constrain, dress hats with jingle bells and descend the Rhur river on a navicula, the boat of fools. Among them, the scientist is present, who, with his folly/science, can be free from the reality, free to follow his dreams and ideals.
 Sebastian Brant Navicula sive speculum fatuorum, printed by Joannis Geyler, Argentorati transscriptum XVI die mensis Januarij Anno MDXI, Strassburg Joh. Pruss 1511).